AGM 2015 Papers

[vc_row][vc_column width=”1/1″][vc_column_text]

AGENDA

AGM on Tuesday 16th June at 7.00pm

Venue:  Room 1, Penicuik Community Arts Centre, 4 West Street, Penicuik

1 APOLOGIES
2 MINUTES OF AGM HELD ON THURSDAY 12TH JUNE 2014
3 MATTERS ARISING
4 CHAIRMAN’S REPORT
5 HON. SECRETARY’S REPORT
6 HON TREASURER’S REPORT
7 MEMBERSHIP REPORT
8 EXHIBITION REPORT
9 REPORTS FROM CAFE, CRAFT SHOP
10 OPPORTUNITIES FOR VOLUNTEERING WITH PCAA
11 ELECTION OF EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE.
12 AOCB

[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column width=”1/1″][vc_text_separator title=”Title” title_align=”separator_align_center” border=”no”][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column width=”1/1″][vc_column_text]

MINUTES OF AGM 2014

TIME AND PLACE OF MEETING Thursday 12th June 2014 at 19.30 hours
4 West Street
1. Present and apologies Jackie McDonald(chair), Anneruth Strauss (secretary), Brian Miller (treasurer) Jenni Thomson, Sheena Stewart, Margaret Neil, Anthony Edge, David Owen, Barbara Dalgleish, Maggie Macphee, Jan Miller, Heather, Christa Ellis
Apologies from Susan Owen, Eon Grindlay, Christina Sutter, Muriel Dawson, Di Davies, Ken Davies, Doreen Cameron, Susan Gierasik, Mhairi Coyle.
2. Minutes of last meeting Proposed as a true minute by Anneruth Strauss
Seconded by Anthony Edge
3. Matters arising Item 7 SCHOOL OUTREACH had been discussed at last AGM.
It was noted that in the past year Anneruth Strauss, Di Davies, Susan Gierasik and Jenni Thomson had all been active in promoting crafting to schools and youth movements in Penicuik as part of the Voluntary Arts week and Craft Bombing.
4. Chairs report Jackie McDonald spoke to her written report that had been circulated with the AGM papers. She acknowledged that is had been a difficult year because of the numerous committee changes and she paid tribute to the committee members and volunteers who had remained though the year and always managed to make the enterprise fun. She particularly thanked Mhairi Coyle and Susan Owen who had given good advice and support throughout the year. She was saddened to report that Anneruth Strauss was stepping down from the committee at the AGM. She thanked Anneruth for her continued enthusiasm and her commitment to community outreach. Her talents and enthusiasm will be missed.
Jackie was particularly pleased that despite the difficulties the Association had put on a full programme of events throughout the year including a successful festival in September 2013
A full written report is appended.
5 Secretary’s report Anneruth Strauss gave her report in the form of an audiovisual presentation reviewing the various events throughout the year. This was greatly appreciated by those present

List of events 2013/2014

July Afternoons in the garden including crafts and music from local band Chutney
September PENFEST 2013 including Penicuik Turner Prize, Arts Trail and Open Studios. We also had performances fro Michelle Burke and James Ross, lecture on songs of Robert Tannahill from Fred Freeman and a poetry evening in Rosslyn Chapel with Henry Marsh and friends.
October Sangs and Clatter was organised by Vallah in memory of her late father Mikolaj Januszevicz
November Medieval Night with mead tasting and recital from viol group
Horizontal Sunday
Annual Craft Fair organised by Sheena Stewart

December Hootenany

January Jennifer and Jessica offered an Alternative Burns

February Comedy night

March Tessa Ranford and Kirsty Law
Pennyghael and friends
April Lecture by Andrew Martin on Scottish Authors in Film
May Poetry and music in Rosslyn Chapel
6 Treasurer’s report Brian Miller presented the annual accounts. Brian has only taken over as treasurer recently. The Association has had a difficult time appointing a treasurer in the past year; Sue Owen resigned as treasurer and was succeeded by Stephanie who was in post for 2 months only. Sue Owen stepped in again till Brian took over. Brian has spent considerable time recording the accounts in a suitable format. There have been further problems in that our usual accountant was unable to audit the accounts expeditiously. The accounts presented were therefore not fully audited to the satisfaction of the regulating body OSCR. Brian believed this would be resolved in time to satisfy OSCR. Because of these difficulties he proposed that we appoint a new auditor for next year. This was remitted to the executive committee to action
The accounts as presented showed the Association had a balance in the bank of £7424 at 31st March 2014. The Association had made a deficit of £1688 which was accounted for by a major roof repair cost falling in this accounting year and also the Association had been too late to apply for the Midlothian Council Rent Grant in the appropriate year. This was due to a breakdown in communication at a time when the Association had been between treasurers.
It was noted that the events had made a profit of £988.88 over the year but that a sum of £183.65 had been wrongly allocated to “Inspired by Art”.
Brian will review this sum and allocate it correctly.

7 Membership report Di Davies had prepared a written membership report for the meeting. She reported that membership stood at 104. She urged all members to give an email contact address if possible since communicating by letters had become very expensive.
8 Exhibition report Jenni Thomson reported that it had been a very successful and varied year of exhibitions:
• June 2013 PCAA comes together in art
• July 2013 Aine Divine paintings
• August 2013 Edinburgh City Stitchers
• September 2013 Linda Sheridan paintings
• PENFEST Edinburgh Printmakers’ Union
• October 2013 Jo owell’s Kid’s Class
• November 2013 Jan Miller and Friends
• December 2013 Craft Shop
• January 2014 Review of PENFEST 2013
• February 2014 Helen Rowbotham paintings
• March 2014 Howgate Art Group Mixed media
• April 2014 Creative Penicuikees.
Jenni reported that exhibitions by local groups and artists were better received.
She was thanked for her efforts in coordinating the exhbitions.
9 Craft Shop report Sheena Stewart reported that Craft shop struggled to find volunteers and to stay open. Maggie Macphee said that she had sat in the craft shop for half a day and had no customers. She proposed that the shop reduce its hours of business. This was something that only the craft shop cooperative could decide.
10 Café report Jenni Thomson reported that the café had noted reduced takings since several groups had stopped using the premises because of the difficulties of disabled access. It was noted that the Association was actively looking at improved access and plans for improved access were available for inspection after the AGM. The plans had been drawn up by Ronnie Hope for the Association free of charge.
It was also decided to try and advertise the café more emphasising the home cooking and friendly atmosphere and secluded garden space.
11 Review of Building works The cost of a major roof repair had fallen in this financial year but apart from that only minor repairs had been carried out including 2 minor roof repairs, replacing a water heater in one of the toilets, fitting an outside tap and cleaning the chimney
12 Constitutional changes The Committee had reviewed the constitution as requested by the AGM in 2013 and brought the following recommendations to the AGM:
1 PARA 6C Currently reads “the Executive Committee may co-opt additional members but only (1) to fulfil a specific function or (2) to fill a vacancy created by the retirement of an elected member.
Proposed change to “the Executive Committee may co-opt additional members as they deem necessary to further the aims of the association”
The safeguards concerning the co-option lasting only till next AGM and co-optees forming at most 50% of executive should remain in place
Rational for this change is that an executive of only 8 is too small to run events and efficiently carry out functions of Association; it is difficult to get volunteers for the committee; often volunteers are needed for non-specific functions or they find the function once they have been on the committee for a while.

2 PARA 7
Propose an additional sub-clause to limit the term of office for the chair, treasurer and secretary.
7A) currently reads that the officers shall be elected annually. Propose that the word “annually” be deleted
ADD:
7C) Officers shall be elected for a term of 3 years. They may stand for a second term of office.
One of the officers should stand for election each year on rotation.
3 The constitution says nothing about changes to constitution nor about what would happen on dissolution and therefore propose 2 additional paragraphs
12 CHANGES TO THE CONSTITUTION
Any changes to the constitution shall require a two-thirds majority of those present and eligible to vote. Any proposal to change the constitution should be signed by two voting members and submitted to the secretary at least 21 days before the meeting.
13 DISSOLUTION
In the event of dissolution of the Association any assets thereof shall be dispersed to a voluntary body supporting the arts in Midlothian in a manner approved by the regulator.

The changes were proposed by Anthony Edge and seconded by Brian Miller. No contrary views were expressed in the meeting and the changes were adopted.

13 OPPORTUNITIES TO VOLUNTEER Jackie had produced a paper outlining various opportunities for volunteering with the Association including helping at single events and volunteering to become secretary of the Association. Margaret Neil volunteered to sit with the annual exhibition in September. The others were urged to consider the document and return them to member of the committee. Particular need at present was for an IT literate volunteer and a volunteer comfortable with social networks.
14 ELECTION OF EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE The following were elected to the executive committee:
Brian Miller, Di Davies, Jenni Thomson, Maira Martin, Sheena Stewart, Iain Smith, Judith Mathers.
Jackie McDonald has served 1 year as Chair and according to new constitution is eligible to sit for a further 2 years without re-election.
15 AOCB There was none
The meeting closed at 20.30. The members then had the opportunity to see and discuss the Penicuik Bunting Project which aims to produce a unique bunting outlining the story of Penicuik as seen through the eyes of its inhabitants and friends. Plans for improved entrance and disabled access were also on view. We were entertained by Bethany Halcrow and her friends with a short recital of song and music.
Jackie McDonald[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column width=”1/1″][vc_text_separator title=”Title” title_align=”separator_align_center” border=”no”][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column width=”1/1″][vc_column_text]

CHAIRMAN’S REPORT 2015

I am pleased to be presenting my second annual chairman’s report. This has been another busy year for the PCAA ; we have produced 8 individual events, continued to be active with crafts and the exhibition space in Café Gallery has hosted a variety of excellent exhibitions. Our Café remains very busy and a popular meeting place with many regular customers. The craft shop has had a face lift.

COMMITTEE CHANGES and HELPERS
At the last AGM the following committee members were appointed: Jackie McDonald; Brian Miller; Di Davies; Sheena Stewart; Iain Smith; Maira Martin; Jenni Thomson; Judith Mathers.
Unfortunately Jenni Thomson and Judith Mathers had to resign from the committee. We are pleased that both still support the organisation. Jenni is now a member of the café cooperative and continues to lead the Saturday morning craft sessions in the Town Hall. Judith is still active in maintaining a link between the Association and local schools. We are grateful for their past work and their continued support.
We were pleased to welcome on to the committee during the year Susan Gierasik, whose artistic knowledge and connections have been very helpful. We were also very pleased that Susan Owen rejoined the committee in our time of need. Her knowledge and past experience has been invaluable.
There are of course many people who contribute to the running of the Association who are not committee members. I hesitate to name them for fear of omitting somebody but I would like to mention Anneruth Strauss and Mhairi Coyle who have continued to help with the website and IT problems; also the many people who help out at events with setting up, bar duties and tickets; Mr Robb who quietly keeps all the furniture functional and carries out odd jobs; the Café and Gift Shop who cope with ticket sales for events.
I thank all of these people for keeping this worthwhile enterprise on the road.

EVENTS, EXHIBITIONS AND CRAFTS
It is really difficult to single out any highlights in the events we produced this year. I think what I liked best was the range and variety of events. (appendix 1) The lecture by Damian Callan on the working practices of Degas was fascinating and I know many of us have now tried these techniques. The music events ranged from folk to classical. They were all different, all high class and all thoroughly enjoyable. The Hootenanny, our social event in December, was just the thing to chase away the winter blues. It was great to have so many people contributing to the entertainment on the evening.
The exhibitions in the café gallery were also very varied and of high quality. (appendix 2) It is testament to the popularity of the café and this exhibition space that we now have artists booked in till early next year. Again it is very difficult to highlight any one show. The new year started with a great exhibition of landscapes by David Owen. The photographic exhibition by Jon Redpath was an absolute delight in March. In May the exhibition by Aine Divine again excited great interest but really every exhibition was special in its own way.
There have also been various craft activities throughout the year. As mentioned above Jenni Thomson continues to lead craft sessions in the Town Hall on Saturday mornings. Recently the Yarn Group has started to meet on Wednesday mornings to work with yarn in all its guises and this has been complemented by successful spinning classes. We were fortunate to have Pip Peat and Barbara Stokes visit us during the year to promote Linus Quilts, a charity that provides comfort quilts for children in hospital. Following this a group of dedicated quilters got together to produce 4 quilts for the charity. The bunting project, which aims to produce a length of bunting where each pennant represents a unique view of Penicuik or an association with Penicuik, is ongoing.

PENFEST 2014
PENFEST is a major event in the Association calendar and 2014 was a very successful festival. The lynch pin of the festival is the annual open art exhibition and Penicuik Turner Prize. This year was the second year of the People’s Choice which has proved very popular with well over 100 votes being cast last year. The worthy winner was Linda Sherridan’s sensitive portrait of her mother. The Penicuik Turner Prize was won by Jane Butler Cole for a delicate and intricate still life of irises. In addition there was a photographic exhibition by the Penicuik Beeslack Camera Club in the library and the historical society mounted a very interesting display of scenes of Penicuik in the Café Gallery. Further afield there was the Arts Trail, the Rainbow Installation in the Lost Garden created by Susan Gierasik and Di Davies and Aritsts’ Open Studios kindly organised by Ulla Hipkin. Musical events were also well represented at the festival with Michelle Burke, James Ross and Irish dancing team Absolutely Legless, Jennifer and Jessica led us through the intricacies of Jazz and Siobhan Miller and Ewan McVicar presented songs and stories of miners, their wives and communities. We once again had a very enjoyable evening of poetry and music in Rosslyn Chapel. But the jewel last year was possibly the writing competition for primary schools which resulted in the publication of the Penicuik Epic book including all the children’s writing.
Planning is well under way for PENFEST 2015 and although we have curtailed the duration of the festival to one week, the programme is just as busy. Put the dates 5th to 13th September in your diary and look out for more information on our website, the Town Crier and our monthly news bulletin.

OTHER GROUPS USING THE BUILDING
We are very keen to see the premises used fully. We continue to have music lessons, art lessons for children, a home education group and a textile group all organised by outside agencies using the building.
The use of the building is limited by the poor disabled access. At the time of writing this report the money we have set aside to improve the access stands at £3675 pounds. An application has been made for lottery funding for the rest.

CHALLENGES
One of the challenges facing the Association is simply maintaining the current levels of activity and energy. In common with many other organisations locally, the burden of running the Association falls on fewer, and dare I say, older shoulders. For over a year the Association has operated without a secretary and the committee has on at least two occasions fallen below the constitutional requirement of 8. It is nevertheless rewarding to be involved in such an organisation, to be providing a platform for local talent and to bring high class acts and exhibitors to audiences locally. Your committee will continue to work hard for these things.
The second challenge facing the Association is financial. This year our grant from Midlothian Council was reduced from £1500 pa to £500. This makes quite a difference to our finances and to our ability to take risks – for example hiring artists such as the string quartet who recently entertained us to great acclaim but would not be financially viable.

LOOKING AHEAD
It is easy to get bogged down in the challenges and forget that the purpose of the Association is to promote the appreciation and practice of the arts in all guises. All the committee are active in promoting the arts and most actively engaged in some discipline. We will continue to promote regular monthly events and regular craft and art sessions. One aim for next year is to set up a regular adult art class.
We will continue to build relationships with other voluntary groups with the same aims: Penicuik Community Development Trust; interest groups of U3A; the Folk Club; local schools and local art clubs and classes.
Communication is essential and we will continue to produce a monthly newsletter and aim to develop our publicity through the use of local publications and improving the website.

We hope that you will support your committee in these aims. We are of course always interested to hear of any ideas from our members.

APPENDIX 1 LIST OF EVENTS FROM JUNE 2014
September 2014 PENFEST
14/10/14 The 2 Eilidh’s. A duet of clarsach and Gaelic song
14/11/14 Damian Callan lectured and demonstrated the working techniques of Degas
13/12/14 Hootenanny social event for adults and children
16/01/15 Wendy Carle Taylor and Friends – a concert in collaboration with the Folk Club and Penicuik High School
27/02/15 The Swingettes – a 4 part a cappella group
27/03/15 Gerda Stevenson presented her new album “Night Touches Day”
24/04/15 Roxburgh String Quartet played music by Purcell, Mozart and Mendelssohn
22/05/15 Poetry and music evening in Rosslyn Chapel

 

APPENDIX 2 LIST OF EXHIBITIONS FROM JUNE 2014
June 2014 Poppy Browne
July Roslin Art Group
August Textiles
September Historical Society
October Art Sparks Children’s art class
November Friend’S Exhibition
December Craft cooperative
January 2015 David Owen
February Gavin Johnston
March Jon Redpath photographs
April Priscilla Brightman
May Aine Divine

[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]

Leave a Reply